Friday 26 April 2013

The light show - Hayward gallery


Quite a few weeks ago before I did the off-sight exhibition I went the Light Show at the Hayward gallery. It was one of the best exhibitions I have been to in a long time. It was such a great visual experience with such a varying use of light.



This piece is by Olafur Eliasson the camera doesn't capture the strobing very well but gives you an idea. It contains streams of running water and a strobe light, it was such an intense experience and of pitch blackness and shots of bright light revealing these beautiful water features. 

'and his art often gives rise to optically disorientating phenomena, such as flashing stroboscopic lamps, which have the effect of appearing to reverse or immobilise  movement (...) the strobe effect produces an ever-changing landscape of apparently icy festoons and crystal garlands.' 

This installation along with the 'ray gun virus' installation I have talked about previously inspired me to use the flashing elements in my recent video to help create this 'optically disorientating phenomena' 



This piece is by Conrad Shawcross and is in its own self contained room. Their work explores interests to do with sciences, maths, philosophy and cosmology however what really struck me when I experienced this piece what how disorientating it was as it played with your perception as sometimes is seemed like walls were moving, getting closer .etc. It gave me a sort of sea sick feeling.




This piece is by Antony McCall, I spent such a long time in this room not only was the light beautiful with the mist patterns made on the sheets of light and the pattern on the wall but watching people interact with it was fascinating.









No comments:

Post a Comment