Tuesday 16 August 2011

self portrait made of frozen blood anyone ?

Marc Quinn's self portrait is literally a portrait of him. 10 pints of his frozen blood in the shape of his face contained in a refrigerator unit to be precise. There are a few of these sculptures titled 'Self' and there are yet more to come as he intendeds to create a new one every 5 years to show the ageing/decaying of a human. I saw this in the national portrait gallery in London and I know its kinda gross but it is my favourite piece there and it just absolutely fascinates me.




4 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome! I've got rather unpleasant visions of someone dropping it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lovveeee Mark Quinn, this is one of my favourites. Can't imagine having to get all that blood out though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah it must have taken a while, however i do give blood and I dont find it to be that bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. like omg . . omg your blog is sooo totally lush, you are wayy cute. This is a really interesting post . . haha like my reply ??? xxxxx

    ReplyDelete