Sunday 18 November 2012

Bruce Nauman

Bruce Nauman did a sound piece in a room where the phrase "Get out of my mind, Get out of this room" is intensely repeated in a distressed voice . He uses a lot of repetition in his works and use of voices.


'In addressing repetition in his video work, Nauman similarly noted that he never intended for his tapes to be viewed on their entirety. He preferred, rather, to make works that gave viewers a feeling of being able to come in or leave at any time'

I need to think about when using repetition in my videos whether I want to people to watch them in their entirety or if it still works and doesn't matter if only a fraction of the video if viewed.

'Clown Torture, Clown taking a shit. Must we accept the cacophony of what the clown tells us ('Pete and Repeat we sitting on a fence. Pete fell off who was left? Repeat. Pete and Repeat . . .) and the cacophony of what they don't want to tell us (No!...No!...No!...No!...)? why remain caught in the vice-like grip of a low-ceilinged room amidst a profusion of monitors and wall projections showing us one clown having a jar of water poured over his head, another stamping 'no no no' with his feet, a third taking a shit? Their torture becomes our. Looking and listening become unbearable, just as they were on the chair surrounded by the five droning monitors. Unable to say anything to us, these installations attack us. The neat little jig (Get out of my mind, Get out of this room) has disintegrated into a cacophony, but the effect is only magnified. As soon as you get in you have to get out.'

Hayward Gallery
Bruce Nauman 

I identify with this aspect of his work, that the torture of the subject in his videos become the torture of the audience, that it becomes unbearable and the installations attack us, as this is an aspect that throw my videos I think I want to inflict on the viewers.

"Bruce Nauman. 'My work is basically an outgrowth of anger I feel about the human condition.. The aspects of it that make me angry are our capacity for cruelty and the ability people have to ignore situations they don't like'""

This quote I like also because I want people to not be able to ignore the situation I put them in.



No comments:

Post a Comment