Monday 19 November 2012

Video Development

So I decided to go with the topic of using eating disorders or mental illnesses for the topic of my videos to start with. Using documentaries of Rhodes farm plus other footage from youtube. I feel like it is a subject I can comment on due to having so much experience with my sister being so ill with it and therefore having some insight with out it being directly about me. Its something that I have a strong connection with and feel strongly about. I was in two minds whether to go with it or not, as it is something really personal and I didn't want it to be some sort of cliche GCSE art project, but then I thought I'm doing my BA now I need to be brave and push myself and its something I could potentially make some good work on.

I saw the documentary 'Dana, the 8 year old anorexic' again on the tv recently, I didn't particularly want to watch it but I just couldn't change the channel, and then I was left in bad mood after it, why did I do that to myself when I knew it would make me upset. I kept thinking about the fact I had watched this, when I made previous works about the West Borough Bapitist church, I initially found the footage shocking then through working with it so much I became slightly desensitised to it whilst still being able to make a provocative video at the end of it. So I'm quite interested in the aspect of making something I become desensitised to but is hard hitting for the audience.

So I have now accumulated and been looking for bits off footage I can use. I gathered stuff from a documentary from Rhodes farm an eating disorder clinic in London, I also got other footage which I thought I could potentially use in with the footage.

Heres my first piece I did, I only used the footage from the documentaries about Rhodes Farm. It has footage of the girls eating at meal times with speaking overlapping and repeating. I like how it starts more subdued then turns more to the angry and upset. I feel though that the video is quite subdued and needs to be more in your face, attacking and intense. I need to work through all the clips I have and see what i want to use and see what I can use to make a new video and see how I can make it better.


No comments:

Post a Comment