Sunday 16 December 2012

Essay tutorial

What are the aims, intentions and interests that you are exploring through your practice/ written work

  • In my essay I answered the question 'To what degree can the meaning or experience of a work of art be independent of context?'
  • I look at two at 2 exhibitions (Rasheed Johnson at the South London Gallery and Tom Friedman at the Stephen Friedman Gallery) to help answer this question. 
  • I found that the meaning and experience of work isn't generally that independent of context as there is always something that provides context that affects this.
  • In my work context is a big part of the work, especially social context and the institutional setting.


Issues in my practical/written work that you need to address and discuss in your tutorial.

  • Any issues with my essay, if there are any ways I could improve it or have gone about it in a better way.
  • Any reading or research I need to do.
  • how my essay applies to my work 
Agreed actions and feedback

This was slightly hindered by the fact I didn't bring my videos along which I didn't realise I was meant too.

  • Essay was written well however need to go into more depth of analysis of work.
  • Look at - Amelia Jones performance art,  Yvonne Rainer- looking myself in the mouth october journal, Patti Smith, Eleanor Antin, Adrian Piper, death of the author Roland Barthes, A very short introduction to post colonialism, Train, go to the Freud Museum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment